Powered By Blogger

Thursday 22 September 2011

Make your own labels

Hi!
To my fellow handmaders...
Here is something I have been trying to get my head around since starting my own handmade business..........Labels! 
What sort will I get?  How much are they? etc, etc, etc.  I have now started making my own fabric labels and printing my own business card tags, which is much more cost effective than getting them made by someone else.  It just takes a bit of time.....so if you can turn your hand to doing up a simple design on your computer......you are on your way!  I use Microsoft Publisher for basic stuff and Photoshop for more complicated work.

Now the business cards are fairly basic, do the design and print them. 
Fabric labels???  A bit more tricky I think!!  But, I was lucky enough to stumble across a brilliant tutorial by - BIRCHseed - printed by hand -


BIRCHseed have put up an easy to follow tutorial  HERE
It is almost exactly how I do my own labels, except I print mine onto white Bias tape, so the top and bottom edges are neat and you just fold the ends under and sew them on!  Simple!

While you are over at BIRCHseed, take a look at the beautiful fabric products they make!  (They are not based on the Mornington Peninsula, but I thought the tutorial would benefit anyone looking at label making) 

 I hope you like the idea of some tutorials, there will be more to come on each Thursday!

Cheers,

MPH xx

4 comments:

  1. What a fantastic idea, I had been thinking about getting labels made to sew on to our products but was getting very confused about which ones I wanted. This is a fantastic idea specially with the bias tape, looks like I might need to make a shopping trip
    Two Little Monkeys

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kirsty,
    Thanks for the feedback! Glad you like the tutorial link....! I thought it was very well presented by BIRCHseed. Good luck with the label project.......just a tip, buy cotton Bias binding, not polycotton.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hello. this is nikki from BIRCHseed -- printed by hand.

    thanks so much for sharing my tut on your blog. i hope it helps some people create some nice fabric labels at home without having to pay loads of money up front because of having to order 1000 at a time!

    i love your idea behind MPH and wish we had something similar up in northern nsw. plenty around byron bay, but i live about 40 minutes north.

    in saying that though... the tweed river art gallery is running its first 'high end' craft and arts christmas market in december and my application was successful, so perhaps things will grow from such a gathering of talent in one spot.

    will look forward to following your blog and seeing the great talent that comes from your area.

    best, nikki

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Nikki,
    Your tutorial was wonderful, thank you!!
    I absolutely love your products, would love to be able to print like you.
    Great news about the market.......hope it goes very well!
    I am hoping to establish a local handmade market here in the future, featuring makers from the Peninsula only.
    Many thanks,
    Jodie

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your comments, great to hear from you!