Powered By Blogger

Wednesday 25 January 2012

Meet the Maker........Kirsty Owen from "Two Little Monkeys"

Hello, yes it is back for 2012!  Meet the Maker is our most popular post, so I hope you enjoy reading about the new round of clever makers.........

Name:  Kirsty Owen
Business Name:  Two Little Monkeys


Website:

Online storefronts:  Hand-made.com.au - Two Little Monkeys
                               Madeit:  www.madeit.com.au/Twolittlemonkeys
                               Etsy:  http://www.etsy.com/shop/TwoLittleMonkey

Facebook:  www.facebook.com/twolittlemonkeys
Twitter:  n/a

Questions:

1. So, tell us about yourself........

I am a 35 year old Mum with two boys, 4 & 21 months.  I have lived on the Mornington Peninsula all my life and could not imagine living anywhere else.  Life is always hectic, between looking after my boys, working part time from home and of course running Two Little Monkeys.....but I enjoy every minute of it and wouldn't change anything.  Two Little Monkeys is supported by my Mum, who also enjoys sewing.

2.  Why handmade?

I have always loved handmade items, mainly due to the care and time taken by someone to create the items.

3. What influenced you to start your business?

In 2010, after making a pencil roll as a Christmas present for my cousin's son (Bree, of Cheeky Monkey Craftwork) she approached me about making them to sell through her Facebook page.  Then in Jan 2011, I decided to go out alone and set up Two Little Monkeys.

4.  What type of products do you sell?

We offer a wide range of items, Pencil rolls, Makeup Brush rolls, Kids Tote Bags, Little Girl Handbags & Personalised Santa Sacks.........and have just released some new items for 2012, Personalised Cushions, Toy Sacks & Appliqued T-Shirts.




5.  What are your inspirations for making your products?

I try to make items that I would buy for the children of family and friends, and of course my boys.  Most importantly though, is that I enjoy making the items I sell.

6.  Where do you sell your products?

Online - Facebook & Hand-made.com.au I also have some items listed on Madeit and Etsy.
Markets - Huckleberry Market, Mulgrave Makers Market and Bumble Bee Baby & Kids Market.
(Check my events tab on my Facebook page to see when and where my next market is)

7.  How much time do you spend making your products each week?

This varies, depending on custom orders and if I have a market coming up.   Anywhere from 5 - 20 hours a week.

8.  Do you have a dedicated craft area or studio in your home?

No, since having my second son I lost my sewing room and currently have a Horn cabinet and bookcase in the family room.  However, it does mean that I am able to sew while my kids play.



9.  Are you self taught or have you had a good teacher?

A mixture of both.  My Mum, who has always sewed and made the majority of my clothes as a child and is always there to help if needed.  I have always had some sort of craft hobby, starting with Cross Stitch when I was about 12, sewed clothes for myself on and off during high school and uni.  I started making mohair bears when I was 22 and then moved on to patchwork about 10 years ago.


P.S.!!!  Two Little Monkeys are having a SALE!!  It starts tonight, Jan 25th from 8pm, until Sunday Jan 29th at 8 pm.   ALL STOCK DISCOUNTED UP TO 25% and HALF PRICE POSTAGE to celebrate our 1st Birthday!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear your comments, great to hear from you!