Powered By Blogger

Wednesday 7 December 2011

Meet the Maker.........Lucy Knol from "Lucy Knol Recycled Jewellery"

Hello to everyone,
What a perfect day down here on the Peninsula!
Today I have a rather special Meet the Maker, I loved reading all about Lucy and her crafty adventures.

Name:  Lucy Knol
Business Name:  Lucy Knol Recycled Jewellery


Website:  www.lucyknol.com

Online storefronts:  Lucy Knol on Etsy

Facebook:  Lucy Knol on Facebook

Twitter: -

Questions:

1.  So, tell us about yourself.....
I'm Lucy Knol and I'm a 21 year old student and lover of beautiful things, from Mount Martha.  I am currently in my 3rd year of a Bachelor of Science, and loving every minute of it.  In my free time I like to spend as much time as possible outdoors, exploring the glorious Peninsula, drinking good coffee and scouring antique and op shops for treasures!

2.  Why handmade?
I fell into my craft quite by accident.  I have always had a love for antique china and have been collecting pieces for years.  When I dropped a favourite willow piece I was too upset to throw the pieces away, so I decided I would try to make something with them....my ideas (and skills!) have been developing ever since!

3.  What influenced you to start your business?
I started out making pieces just for myself to wear, and shyly began giving them to friends and family as gifts.  The response was enormously encouraging!  And my dear friend Sarah Dingwall helped me into the world of retailing, by offering me a share of her stall at the Christmas at the Studio 2010.

4.  What type of products do you sell?
My main products at the moment are my animal shaped brooches, which I hand cut from antique china.  I have recently started making earrings and am trying to master a design for a patchwork-style collar (spoilers!).



5.  What are your inspirations for making your products?
I draw inspiration from lots of places - people's pets mostly!

6.  Where do you sell your products?
Etsy, Zeega in Flinders, McClelland Gallery & Sculpture Park in Langwarrin and Gleaners Inc. in Brunswick.

7.  How much time do your spend making your products each week?
"Making time", as I call it, varies from week to week depending on my part time work & study load, but I try to get at least 2-3 hours a week in!

8.  Do you have a dedicated craft area or studio in your home?
I seem to have invaded/completely taken over my Dad's shed with my studio space.....it just keeps expanding!  There's a progression of work from the back seat of my car to the shed.....and ultimately to my bedroom floor for finishing!


9.  Are you self taught or have you had a good teacher?
I had the most wonderful teacher - my grandad!  Who helped me set up my studio with all the necessary tools and showed me how to use them and care for them properly.



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear your comments, great to hear from you!