Powered By Blogger

Monday 2 April 2012

Crafty goings on.....

Last Saturday, I was lucky enough to be involved in the first annual Westernport Craft Fest.  What a day it was!  A good friend asked me at the last minute, to share a stall with her.  Hence the mad rush on Friday night to get some sort of paper crafting demonstration stall together.

Now Saturday was a fairly blustery day in downtown Hastings and paper crafting in the wind brought along some interesting challenges!  Our stall started off looking all pretty for about five minutes, until gust after gust of that nasty wind rearranged it and sent gift boxes, cards and paper hurtling to the ground.

Teena papercrafting in the wind......DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME!
As you all know, I dabble in several crafty obsessions.  Most of the time I muddle through, each time learning more and more as I go.  After lunch at Craft Fest, I slipped away to meet some of the other demonstrators.....and I was curious to see what other crafts were on show.  A lot of the ladies were very experienced and had been crafting for many more years than me.......and yes, it showed!  I was seriously impressed by the quality of the many crafts on show.  Just look at the work by Jennifer Lewis pictured below:

Collage quilt by Jennifer Lewis

The lovely Jennifer Lewis and a gorgeous vintage Singer machine
Upon discovering the exquisitely detailed embroidery by Caroline Hill, my mind was taken away to English Cottage Gardens and the days of old....

Embroidery by Caroline Hill

Caroline Hill
I had a lovely chat to Amanda Hart, who makes handmade jewellery and puppets......one of her cute puppets was strolling around next to her, among the crowds during the day...

Amanda Hart
I think the most amazing craft I watched on the day was the ladies from Mt Eliza Lace Group and their lace demonstration. These ladies are just so talented and the work is extremely intricate.  I would imagine a great deal of patience is required. This is something I don't have a lot of, but this only served to make my admiration grow.  Absolutely gorgeous work!

Mt Eliza Lace Group
I could rattle on forever about the lovely people I met on the day........I truly had a great day out and was very humbled by the talented older ladies I met.  Well done to you all  !!

Basket making and soft toys...

The girls from Trinity Craft Group

Westernport Quilters Inc
Thank you to Sandra for her assistance on the day and for squeezing us in after a cancellation.  I look forward to next years event!

Cheers,

Jodie
MPH xx

4 comments:

  1. So glad you enjoyed the Craft Fest, Jodie. It was a great joy for me, too after 6 months of organising. Didn't we just have a great group of craftswomen? (Wonder why there are no craftsmen? Will have to investigate more for next year).
    PS: After the de-brief, we've decided to do it all again next year - mark March 16 in your diary!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How does one get involved with this for next year? Is there an application process?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Beck,
      If you email me I can give you the contact details....
      Cheers,
      Jodie

      Delete
  3. Thought I should let you - and your readers - know that the next Western Port Craft Fest will be on Saturday, 4th May (the day before Mothers' Day) - and not as previously advised.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your comments, great to hear from you!