Powered By Blogger

Wednesday 25 April 2012

Meet the Maker.......Lauren from "Love a Rhino"

Anzac Day...... a day to reflect about those who have made such sacrifices for our country, a day to spend together and perhaps even make a batch of traditional Anzac biscuits.  Today I have done all of that, I think it is a great way of respecting this special Australian day.  I am now sitting at my desk next to our wood heater, which is blazing along nicely with a sleepy cat curled up in front of it.

Now for a late Meet the Maker post on this chilly Autumn night......about a month ago I met Lauren from Love a Rhino at a local market and was instantly taken with her gorgeous wall art.  I am pleased to share some of Lauren's thoughts with you......

Name:  Lauren Hammond

Business Name:  Love a Rhino


Website:  www.lovearhino.com.au

Online storefront/s:  www.madeit.com.au/LoveARhino

Facebook:  www.facebook.com/LoveARhino

Twitter:

Questions:

1.  So, tell us about yourself......
I'm a 20 something, stay at home Mum to two rambunctious boys aged 5 and 2 1/2.  I live with my family (hubby, 2 boys, Labrador and 6 chickens) in Karingal.  Before my youngest son was born, I was a vet nurse and though I love being home with my boys, I do miss working with animals (they don't tend to talk back quite so much, I've noticed).

2.  Why handmade?
I've always loved creating unique pieces (I have vivid memories of sewing furry pencil cases in high school and selling them for extra money).  I think that something that's been lovingly made by hand, is always more special and treasured.



3.  What influenced you to start your business?
I was having a hard time finding artwork for my boys' rooms that was unique, fun, not too "cutesie" and didn't cost an arm and a leg, so I decided to create my own!  I then made a few prints as gifts for friend's new babies and was constantly being told that they had people asking where they could get their own.  I decided to list a few designs on madeit.com.au and see what happened from there.

4.  What type of products do you sell?
I offer a range of modern, personalised wall art, for nurseries, kid's rooms and the home.  Our speciality are our Personalised Birth Stat Wall Prints, which are popular as gifts.


5.  What are your inspirations for making your products?
I draw inspiration from anywhere and everywhere.  I love, love, love magazines and websites dedicated to children's room/nursery design.  I have a slight (*cough all-encompassing *cough) addiction to Pinterest at the moment and I find its a great place to draw inspiration.

6.  Where do you sell your products?
I sell prints both online on my website and madeit.com.au…..and at various markets.


7.  How much time do you spend making your products each week?
This depends entirely upon my boys, especially the youngest.  I'd say on average, 10 hours a week, but this increases if I have a market coming up.

8.  Do you have a dedicated craft area or studio in your home?
I wish!!  Most of my designing/printing is done either sitting on the couch or at the dining table!  Though I currently have grand plans for a closet that once housed our European Laundry (thank you Pinterest!)



9.  Are you self taught or have you had a good teacher?
I'm self taught.  I started off with digital scrapbooking, which evolved into designing invitations and went from there.







No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear your comments, great to hear from you!