Powered By Blogger

Tuesday 17 April 2012

Handmade soap class......

Hello hello.....

SO excited!!  Tomorrow, I am lucky enough to be trialling out a new soap making class!  Judy from Gunbower Creek Olives in Rye,  is starting up these classes soon and I get to be one of the the guinea pig students!  Yay!  Soap making is something that has interested me for the past few years and although I have read lots about it and even have books about it, I have never taken that nervous leap into making my own.

Soap making has been around for thousands of years, the earliest records are from Babylonia in 2800 BC.  It was once a common practise in the home kitchen,  to whip up batches of homemade soap for household use.  And then came along commercial soap factories.



For the last few years, I have only been using handmade soaps from markets or liquid castille soap from my local health food store, steering well clear of cheap and scary commercial stuff. An added bonus is that I am putting a lot less chemicals on my skin.......always a good thing!!  I have found that my skin is not as dry, due to the lovely glycerin content in these soaps.

Glycerin is present in natural fats so it makes sense to leave it in soap for its moisturising qualities.
You can see in this simple equation:  oil + lye = soap + glycerin.

Commercial soap has the glycerin removed from it and then the glycerin is sold off as a by-product.  Although commercial soaps have super lathering powers (probably due to synthetic detergents), I find they dry my skin horribly........snake skin is not a good look!!

So tomorrow's class will be fantastic and I have been looking forward to it for weeks.  I hope to take some pictures to post up tomorrow.........so stay tuned.

Have a great day!

Cheers,

Jodie
MPH xx


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear your comments, great to hear from you!