Powered By Blogger

Wednesday 7 March 2012

Meet the Maker..........Lisa from "Elefunk"

Another inspiring Meet the Maker interview today, from the very talented Lisa and her business, Elefunk!
Thank you Lisa for the wonderful piece and cute product photos x

Name:  Lisa Foran
Business Name:  Elefunk


Website:  www.elefunk.com.au

Facebook:  www.facebook.com/elefunks

Twitter:

Questions:

1.  So, tell us about yourself.......
I'm a wife, a mum to 4 year fold Mietta and now, a business owner and crazily, a crafty sewer!

2.  Why handmade?
I've always felt handmade items have so much more meaning than mass produced items. It's the love and care that goes into every stitch, and of course the unique designs and the quality.

3.  What influenced you to start your business?
2 years ago, my husband asked me what I'd like for Christmas and I said "A sewing machine".  Such a joke in our family, as I have never shown the slightest interest in sewing! My intention was to make clothes for my daughter, but I thought I would start with a soft toy elephant as both my daughter and husband love elephants.  I wasn't quite happy with the pattern, so I adapted it, found some funky fabric and it became an EleFunk!  Personalising them for friends who had babies became the next step.  I gave them as gifts for 18 months and then people started asking me to make them for them to give to friends.  By the way, I never did make those clothes for my daughter!

4.  What type of products do you sell?
Funky cushions, soft toys and bunting flags.  All can be personalised.




5.  What are your inspirations for making your products?
My daughter has an unusual name which I knew I wouldn't find on any commercially made items, so I wanted to make things I could put her name on to.  Aside from that, I wanted kids items that were bright and funky and that would brighten up a child's room.

6.  Where do you sell your products?
On my Facebook page and at markets around Melbourne.  Currently I'm at Mornington Racecourse market, Red Hill Community market, and I will be at Mathilda's Market and Huckleberry Market in months to come.




7.  How much time do you spend making your products each week?
Depends if it's the week before a market or not!  I sew almost every day, always trying to balance it as second to my family.

8.  Do you have a dedicated craft area or studio in your home?
I do now!!  Our billiard table used to be used for billiards, now it has a cover that was designed as a cutting table for me.  We used to have an office/study too, but the laptop has been relegated to the far corner to make room for three sewing machines!



9.  Are you self taught or have you had a good teacher?
I'm mostly self taught, although my mum does sew and has given me some good tips along the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear your comments, great to hear from you!