Powered By Blogger

Wednesday 21 March 2012

Meet the Maker..........Sheraleen from "Vintage Ruby"

Sorry about the late Meet the Maker interview, I have been out of the house all day......only just got to sit down!  Tonight I have the lovely Sheraleen from Vintage Ruby.  The products are just gorgeous.......sit back and take a look.......

Name:  Sheraleen Pattison

Business Name:  Vintage Ruby


Website:

Facebook:  www.facebook.com/vintagerubygiftware

Twitter:

Questions:

1.  So, tell us about yourself.......
I am very fortunate to have grown up on the Mornington Peninsula, enjoying all its great places and spaces as a kid.  While I have always loved working with fabrics for my own pleasure, it wasn't until I became a mum that I seriously considered giving it a stronger presence in my life.  I was a Sales Manager in IT and felt that the time had come, as well as listening to the encouragement of my friends and family, to recognise my creative side just a little more.  So, these days I enjoy creating children's clothing and baby furnishings under my label "Vintage Ruby", while spending quality time with my 2 beautiful children, Lachlan 7 and Ruby 3.  They keep me on my toes, especially my 3 year old.  And they also keep me forever road testing my products.


2.  Why handmade?
There is something uniquely special about receiving a handmade gift, knowing that someone has put their heart and soul into creating it for you.  Even more so for personalised gifts......these are the gifts you treasure forever.  Given that I work with vintage material quite a bit, I love that my items have a story to tell, even before I have finished with them.


3.  What influenced you to start your business?
For as long as I have been able to, I have been making gifts for friends and family.  I used to crochet baby blankets, but they used to take me a while.  It was on the way to visit a friend with a new baby and I was racing to finish a blanket in the car, that I realised I needed to do something different.  My husband bought me a sewing machine and that was it!  I started making rag quilts and I was able to whip one up pretty quickly.  I then discovered vintage chenille bedspreads and fell in love.....actually, it borders on obsession with over 70 bedspreads in my collection.  My friends were on my back to start selling them, so I decided to start my own business and haven't looked back since!

4. What type of products do you sell?
I sell giftware for babies and toddlers mainly.  Most of my products incorporate vintage, recycled or new fabrics.  I make quilts, chenille dresses, bibs, burp cloths, bags, buntings, hats and framed pictures.




5.  What are your inspirations for making your products?
I am constantly inspired by the creativity of others.  I have so many ideas, but don't always have the "free" time to play around with them.  I am also inspired by the spontaneity and innocence of children.

6.  Where do you sell your products?
My range of products is currently available at MP Kids in Dromana ( a huge supporter of local handmade ) and previously at Miss Kitty's in Red Hill, but sadly they have since closed. There are some annual markets that I do, but I sell most of my products through word of mouth.


7.  How much time do you spend making your products each week?
It all depends on what I have on at the time and how many orders are coming through.  Usually I spend at least a few days a week sewing.  As I mentioned earlier, my children keep me busy, so most of my sewing is done at night.

8.  Do you have a dedicated craft area or studio in your home?
I wish!!  Unfortunately, like so many in the craft industry, I don't.  I do all of my cutting out at my kitchen table and all of my sewing in my bedroom.  I sew at my dressing table and lay my work out on the bed.  It's not unusual for me to be sewing a 3 o'clock in the morning.  My poor husband has learnt to sleep through it, often oblivious to the fabrics draped over him....



9.  Are you self taught or have you had a good teacher?
I am self taught.....my mum showed me how to use a sewing machine when I was young, but didn't really get into it until my husband bought me my own.  I've really enjoyed the journey so far.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear your comments, great to hear from you!