Powered By Blogger

Wednesday 19 October 2011

Meet the Maker.........Carol from "Cazans Gourmet Foods"

Name:  Carol Dowling
Business Name:  Cazans Gourmet Foods


Website:  www.cazans.com.au

Online storefronts:

Facebook:

Questions:

1. So, tell us about yourself......

In my own words, I am a single old fart with grown children.  I am a mum of two boys who are now off leading their own lives.  I am originally from England, but my home and work is now in Rosebud.

2.  Why handmade?

Because it is the way food should be, preservative free and with no added fillers.

3.  What influenced you to start your business?

When my youngest boy Alex was born, I made the decision to find something I could do from home, because I did not want him to go into child care, I wanted to be with him.  As I had always loved cooking, I took to the kitchen and started making preserves the way my Nan had always done.  I used a lot of her old recipes, plus played with my own concoctions.   I became so involved, that I am still cooking and selling 18 years later, and enjoying being my own boss.  I still believe fresh is best and use only the best fruit and vegetables.  If I am unable to find the quality I want, then the product is placed on hold until I can source want I want.  I spent many years employed in retail management. 


4.  What type of products do you sell?

Conserves, Relish, Chutney, Chilli sauces mustards and more
We make a range of Conserves, which can change due to the availability of seasonal fruits.   Our homemade mustards come in a range of flavours to complement many dishes.  If you are looking for a fruit sauce, we make a delicious range, including raspberry and blueberry - lovely on pancakes!   Chilli sauces are another specialty, from the mild sweet type to the fiery hot chilli sauces.  There are several types of relishes and chutneys in our range, some of which are pictured below.





5.  What are your inspirations for making your products?

My Nanna is my biggest inspiration, she had good taste and was always interested in new tastes and flavours. 

6.  Where do you sell your products?

We sell at many local markets including the Boneo Primary School market, the Red Hill Market, the Red Hill Farmer's Market and the Mornington Racecourse market.  Our products can be found at many local, Victorian and interstate outlets.....including delis, cafes and specialty stores.  A link to the list of outlets can be found HERE.


7. How much time do you spend making your products each week?

It takes between 20-30hrs of cooking time, plus sourcing ingredients, labelling and packaging – and approx 8 hours delivering goods to shops.  There is also the time spent at markets on the weekends.

8.  Do you have a dedicated craft area or studio in your home?

Yes, but in my case it is a kitchen!  I have my own kitchen with large scale boilers and other cooking equipment, especially set up for Cazans.


9.  Are you self taught, or have you had a good teacher?

I had a good teacher in my Nanna, plus I am self taught in a lot of areas.




No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear your comments, great to hear from you!