Powered By Blogger

Wednesday 12 October 2011

Meet the Maker..............Ooooh, it's the face behind MPH!........Jodie from "Designery"

Hello all,
Ok, so I thought today's Meet the Maker is all about who is the face behind the computer at Mornington Peninsula Handmade.........in case you are wondering, which you probably aren't!

Name:  Jodie Griffith

Business Name(s):  Designery
                                 Mornington Peninsula Handmade


Websites:  www.morningtonpeninsulahandmade.blogspot.com

Online Storefronts:  Designery's Madeit store

Facebook:  www.facebook.com/Designeryhandmade
                  www.facebook.com/MorningtonPeninsulaHandmade

Questions:

1. So, tell us about yourself........

I live on the Mornington Peninsula, in the seaside town of Rosebud.  I was born on the Peninsula and absolutely adore it here.  My partner lives in the city most of the time and comes down here whenever possible.  That means I get lots of time to sew and make cards, etc.  I am a mum to a ten year old boy, first and foremost.  Anything else fits in around that doesn't it?  I have a busy life which involves me being one of many things........ a part time office worker from home, a handmade business owner/creator, Mornington Peninsula Handmade founder and blogger, new Stampin Up demonstrator, home grown fruit and vegie gardener..........Er, ok, I think I need two of me!  Being one of five daughters, I have a very large family who all live on the Peninsula and are a huge part of my life.

2.  Why handmade?

Up until a few years ago, I didn't really have any hobbies apart from gardening.  In early 2008, something happened to completely change my world.  I was diagnosed with an acute Leukaemia.  Life ceased to be as I knew it and for 18 months was focused on medical treatment.  After the end of this period of treatment,  I began to think of what I could do with my life.  I have always been a bit creative, so I began a web design course..........Ok, I discovered it wasn't for me!  Soon after, Designery was born, from the humble beginnings of me wanting to make my own handbag.  My Mum encouraged me to start making the bag and helped me with things,  like putting the zip in (something I had absolutely no clue how to do!).  I had a few orders for bags from then on and off I went!  I love the time, effort, detail and creativity that handmade items bring.  They are unique and special in this world full of mass produced products.

3. What influenced you to start your business?

The world of blogs, tutorials and sites like Madeit and Etsy, had a huge part in the beginning of my Designery business.  I spent many a night looking at handmade tutorials and basically thought.........I can do this!! Plus the array of fantastic fabrics available now, soon started a buying frenzy!
MPH was born from the need to promote other businesses like my own and to give recognition to the talented bunch of people who live on the Peninsula.  I recently added another dimension to my handmade business by becoming a Stampin' Up demonstrator.  Papercrafts have always drawn me in and I am addicted to gorgeous papers and inks, so it makes sense really.

4.  What type of products do you sell?

I make things which I love and hopefully others do too!  Natural fabrics are something I love, hessian and beautiful linens top the list of favorites........and anything spotty!!!  There are many items.........mobiles for kid's rooms, fabric baskets, book satchels, cards and tags, cupcake toppers, handbags, children's fabric belts, hanging hearts and fabric bunting.  At the moment I am in full Christmas mode, making lots of decorations and cards/gift-tags.........I love Christmas!  As per usual, my present shopping has not even started, but the crafts have!




5. What are your inspirations for making your products?

I think the realisation of one's ability to learn new skills is one of my biggest inspirations.  Being naturally determined and creative, I like giving myself challenges.  The delight from a person when they find out the card is handmade by you..........not just a run of the mill supermarket one.  It makes the gift personal and that is inspiring.  Also the thrill that someone else likes your products....... I ran around the loungeroom like a mad thing after my first Madeit online sale! 

6.  Where do you sell your products?

I have an online store on Madeit.....Designery
Plus a facebook page, which is doing quite well.
I also have some of my kids belts and soon will have some mobiles too, at Coloured Girl Dromana.

7.  How much time do you spend making your products each week?

That can vary, depending on custom orders, but I would say between 10-15 hours on a busy week.  I am always at my craft desk in our lounge room, either making things to sell or experimenting with new ideas.  I am always on the laptop.........Facebook, the MPH blog, Madeit, the Stampin' Up website or just researching new techniques.  I have a monthly Stamp Club with friends, which we absolutely love and we get to try new stamping techniques and make some really great cards & gifts.

8. Do you have a dedicated craft area or studio in your home?

Yes, I am lucky enough to have a custom built craft workstation in our loungeroom.........as per photo below....what a dodgy picture of me!  The dining room table was becoming clogged with sewing and stamping stuff, so my partner had this brilliant desk built for me.  So when he comes down, the craft stuff is contained to one area and doesn't annoy him..............in saying that, I have now outgrown the craftstation and much to his horror, have had to get a trestle table too, for cutting out patterns, etc.  My next purchase will be an overlocker, but goodness knows where that will go?


9. Are you self taught or have you had a good teacher?

Ha, good question!  To think I used to loathe sewing classes at high school and never really took an interest in them.  Ok, so something must have sunk in, because I remembered the very very basic skills........and then Mum to the rescue!!  As mentioned earlier, she helped with zipper installation issues and other bits and pieces.  I have learnt so much from tutorials on the internet..........love, love, love them!!  My monthly stamp club teacher, Teena, has taught us some wonderful techniques in papercraft that I can't wait to pass on to new people who can attend my own Stampin' Up workshops and classes.  Contact details for classes:  jodes0303@hotmail.com


3 comments:

  1. You have a wonderfully positive story, you craft some beautiful things, and I love Mornington Peninsula Handmade.. thank you for sharing it with us... last but not least, it is lovely to put a face to the place :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely to "meet" you, Jodie! Love your story, and what you do, and what you make. You're an inspiration :)

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your comments, great to hear from you!