Powered By Blogger

Wednesday 16 November 2011

Meet the Maker...........Karen Erasmus

Name:  Karen Erasmus
Business Name:  Karen Erasmus Illustration and Portraiture



Website:  www.karenerasmus.weebly.com
                www.karenerasmus.wordpress.com

Online storefronts:  www.madeit.com.au/LittleSplashes

Facebook:  Karen Erasmus Illustration and Portraiture

Twitter:  karenerasmus

Questions:

1.  So, tell us about yourself......
I am an artist who loves to work with ink and watercolour.  I do a lot of portraiture and I work towards getting illustration projects, particularly children's book illustration.  I produce cards on 100% recycled card.  I also have three hilarious and vibrant daughters who are a constant inspiration to me.

2.  Why handmade?
Making cards allows me to practice drawing and painting with a consistent style.  I think its a wonderful thing to receive something that's original and handmade.  I can also choose my own supplier of Australian made recycled card and envelopes.

3.  What influenced you to start your business?
I went back to study illustration after having my children and I love painting and drawing every day.  The cards give me a focus so that I have to keep thinking up new ideas and practice drawing.

4.  What type of products do you sell?
Greeting cards and tags.  I also sell pieces of art through local exhibitions and commissions for portraits.


5.  What are your inspirations for making your products?
Children's picture books are a wonderful inspiration.  There's such a wealth of different techniques.  I love to look at creative blogs and go to exhibitions, but sometimes just popping into gorgeous little gift shops or sitting watching the girls playing can spark an idea.

6.  Where do you sell your products?
Online, but I'd like to have a go at markets and retail when I build up my stock and get more idea of what sells well.  I sell my paintings through local exhibitions.


7.  How much time do you spend making your products each week?
Whatever time I have!  It's a balancing act between work, home-life and various projects that pop up.  Realistically, I probably do about 20 hours a week of creative activity.

8.  Do you have a dedicated craft area or studio in your home?
Yes, I have an office with a computer and drawing table, and I have an easel in the corner of the dining room.


9.  Are you self taught or have you had a good teacher?
I did an art degrees with teaching first time round, then I went back to study illustration at Frankston TAFE part time over four years, when the girls were still small.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear your comments, great to hear from you!