Powered By Blogger

Wednesday 9 November 2011

Meet the Maker.......Sam from "Magnolia Nursery Decor"

Name:  Sam Nord-White
Business Name:  Magnolia Nursery Decor


Website:  www.magnolianurserydecor.com.au

Online storefront/s:  Magnolia's Facebook pageMagnolia's Etsy store and Magnolia's Madeit store

Facebook:  Magnolia Nursery Decor

Twitter:

Questions:

1. So, tell us about yourself....

I am a very busy mum of 17 year old twin daughters and a 20 year old son.  This year has been an extremely busy year with my husband starting a job in Port Hedland, WA (returning every 3 months), moving house, having a knee reconstruction and also taking on a second job.  I'm a very keen netballer, unfortunately with the knee redo, I am out of action for 12 months but can't wait to get back to it.

2.  Why handmade?


I'm an Aquarian and if I am not making something I would go crazy.  If I am not sewing, I am building something or recycling something.  Don't get me to cook though......I hate cooking and I hate housework!

3.  What influenced you to start your business?


Pretty much the same as a lot of new mums.  When I had my first child, I made all his bedding and decor for his nursery and then friends asked me to make things for them.  I realised I had something that you couldn't buy in the shops and so Magnolia was created.

4.  What type of products do you sell?


I initially started with just nursery bedding and decor, such as sleeping bags, quilts, toy bags.  But as my kids got older my range few with them and now I make a lot the older kids.  I have just introduced my "big kids" sleeping bags which fit approx 12 - 13 year olds.  My patchwork quilts, runners and cushions I even make for adults.  The patchwork quilts have a bit of a quirky twist to them, with different textured fabrics, felt appliqués and trimmings, which are a real hit with everyone.




5.  What are your inspirations for making your products?


I like to have something a bit different to other bedding and homewares.  As soon as I see someone sling something similar to me I'll drop that product from my range.  I like to have unique pieces with a lot of my range being one-of-a-kind and I think that's why Magnolia is still going strong 21 years on.

6.  Where do you sell your products?


Magnolia is available online, on my Facebook page, at Mornington Racecourse Market every month and occasionally at Red Hill, Healesville and Fairy Floss Markets (contact me for dates).  Magnolia is also available through Party Plan.  All you need is a few friends over and I'll bring the range to you!  No fuss and you can buy or order on the day.

7.  How much time do you spend making your products each week?


Wow, how long is a piece of string???  I could spend anything from 2 hours a week to 52 hours a week, really just depends on how many orders, markets.....and lunches I have on that week!

8.  Do you have a dedicated craft area or studio in your home?


We have moved house this year so my sewing "area" is only half the size.  I work better unorganised and under pressure so I'm reluctant to show a photo!!!


9.  Are you self taught or have you had a good teacher?


Well I'm showing my age here, but I was an 80's queen and also did hairdressing in the 80's, I think the combination of the two lead me to wanting to create clothing that was different to everyone else.  My mum had an old sewing machine that I started out on, but she bought me my own for my 21st Birthday.  Ironically, the first thing I made for myself, for my glory box, was a cot set (much to my mum's horror).  Mum was not a sewer so I basically taught myself.


1 comment:

  1. Hav'nt seen that before and must say it brought a tear to my eye!!! xxx Mum

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your comments, great to hear from you!