Powered By Blogger

Wednesday 23 November 2011

Meet the Maker.....Marnie from "Marnie Louanne"

Good morning......
First of all, just a quick thanks to Marnie for putting together a brilliant interview, in such a speedy record time last night......well done!!  It is a great read about a fellow passionate crafter and Mornington Peninsula lover.......


Name:  Marnie Umbers
Business Name:  Marnie Louanne


Website:  www.marnielouanne.com.au
Online storefronts:  www.marnielouanne.com.au
Facebook:  www.facebook.com.au/marnielouannehandcrafts
Twitter:  thenanthatcan

Questions:

1.  So, tell us about yourself........
Where do I start?  I'm a home decor designer, wedding and event planner, public relations manager, screen printer, knitter, crafter and I'm generally appreciative of the chance to potter about.  I've grown up on the Mornington Peninsula and couldn't imagine living anywhere else.  I just feel so lucky each night to drive home to a holiday destination!  I'm currently in Somerville with my partner Simon, our cat Roxie, our lovable dog Matilda and our two chickens....Black Betty and Shirley. I also love nothing more than a beautiful Mornington Peninsula wine.....some of my favourites include Pier 10's Pinot Grigio and Paris Rose, Box Stallion's Rose and T'Gallant's Pink Moscato!

Marnie with her prize scarf 

2.  Why handmade?
I actually work full time in public relations for the Victorian State Government, so crafting and creating something unique keeps me sane!  I began knitting in the last few years and entered a scarf I knitted in the Novice Knitting section at the Royal Melbourne Show in 2010.....and walked away with a blue ribbon!  It was very exciting but also earned me my nickname....The Nan That Can (thanks Maggs)!  But that really was why got me back into crafts!

3.  What influenced you to start your business?
Marnie Louanne evolved because my beloved (Sime) threatened to throw all my handmade nick nacks out if I didn't get rid of them.  You see, I was creating in what some would call a hoarding style.....so I contacted the lovely ladies at the Boneo Market and began selling my wares on the third Saturday of each month.  That was 18 months ago now and I've never looked back.  Now, the idea of being able to run my business full time and not have to work for someone else is VERY appealing.

4.  What type of products do you sell?
To be honest, whatever I feel like!  The product line for Marnie Louanne really has evolved since we first began with just door stops.  Now we have bookmarks, magnets, cushions, lavender products, and the newest area......screen printing!  We've produced a range of 100% linen tea towels and cotton canvas shopping totes, which have been such a hit I'm struggling to keep up with the demand - but I wouldn't have it any other way!


5.  What are your inspirations for making your products?
I subscribe to pretty much every Australian home wares magazine!  I'm seriously a home decor tragic!  Depending on what I'm making, I let the material guide what I make.  I am always receiving comments on my material choices, which makes me smile.  I really love organic fibres, especially linen, so right now I'm trying to merge the two.

6.  Where do you sell your products?
I have an online store through my website marnielouanne.com.au and I'm currently stocked at The Studio at Flinders, but you'll usually find me at Boneo Market, Red Hill Market and Mornington Racecourse Market.  I'll also be at Mulgrave's Maker's Market leading up until Christmas and also Huckleberry Market.


7.  How much time do you spend making your products each week?
I wish I could do it while I was at work!  I would say at least 8 hours a week but more when I have a big market like Red Hill coming up......add another 4-6 hours onto that for marketing, public relations and packaging.

8.  Do you have a dedicated craft area or studio in your home?
Yes I do.  Although my "mess" is still all over the house, I do have a spare bedroom that has now been officially labelled "the studio".  I was lucky enough to score some awesome sewing tables from the Thread Den, when they closed down their North Melbourne shop.  They were the base to the studio and really helped to form a workable space.....although it could do with a good spring clean!!




9.  Are you self taught or have you had a good teacher?
A bit of both really.  Mum always sewed our dancing costumes, school uniforms and embarrassing clothes that were somewhat out of fashion, even for the the early 90's!  I did pop into Thread Den to complete their Module 2 and 3 classes which was fantastic!  Skills I'd long forgotten came flooding back!!!  I also took a class with Laura Day and Learn 2 Screenprint!  That's when my screen printing started and I haven't looked back.  Laura has been such a fantastic printing mentor, she's always on hand for printing and product sourcing advice!  Other than that, crafting has always been my thing.  Very much self taught in that department, I'm always trying to create something that you can't buy elsewhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear your comments, great to hear from you!