Powered By Blogger

Wednesday 30 November 2011

Meet the Maker........Karen from "REN"

Good morning everyone.........thunderstorms everywhere this morning, I love it!!  Outside it is dark and gloomy from the clouds, but with that tropical weather feel which I adore and my garden is loving all this rain!!
Today's Meet the Maker is the lovely Karen, from REN.........


Name:  Karen Goddard
Business Name:  REN




Website:  none at this stage
Online storefront/s:  none at this stage
Facebook:  www.facebook.com/THEONLYREN
Twitter:  Theonlyrensk

Questions:

1. So, tell us about yourself.........
Hi, friends call me Ren.  I was born in England, in Essex South-End-On-Sea and moved to Australia in 1987 with my family, aged 12.  Instantly fell head over heels in love with the Australian beaches and that way of life.  I mean if you could see the beaches from where I came, you'd completely understand.  Just Google South-End-On-Sea and you'll get the idea, but beautiful in their own right of course.  I now reside in Dromana, on the Mornington Peninsula, with my ever patient, loving man and our four children.  Two teenagers...boy and girl...FUN, one daughter aged 6 and my youngest and by far cutest and cheekiest little boy, who is 4.  But in case they are all reading this???  You're all beautiful REALLY!!!   I was a florist for many years, working in many different styled florists shops, making flowers for many different events and people..........The International Flower and Garden Show in Melbourne, flowers for the Grand Prix and famous tennis players, actors, weddings and more.  I now draw on those times and ideas, plus sourcing new ones constantly for REN. It's all been a fantastic ride at the moment and I'm not taking it too seriously but on the other hand, I'm serious about delivering a great final product, having happy customers and a happy family.



2.  Why handmade?
I just love the satisfaction that comes with making something yourself from scratch or coming up with a great new idea.  It's really quite addictive and fun, plus you can recycle a lot of really cool stuff in the process and also meet amazing friends.

3.  What influenced you to start your business?
Like most stay at home mums, I have dabbled in a few things over the last couple of years, trying to work them in with my family.  I was a florist for over 15 years and sold a few of my original Acrylic paintings, so I love working with my hands creatively.  I was painting out of my garage and had made a few shell hangs for myself, for around the garden.  When really, a good friend recommended we should do a market together and it has all grown from there....I've got to say I am just loving it!!!

4.  What type of products do you sell?
Aussie beach inspired products.....beautiful items that I myself would love in my own home. Like my Shell and Driftwood hangs/mobiles, quirky chalkboard items from rocks to silver serving trays.  Felt Fings, which include starfish, felt and driftwood mobiles.  Shell necklaces and some of my own photos and acrylic paintings, both in which I am self taught.  I'm always adding new products, that way it keeps it fun, fresh and interesting.



5.  What are your inspirations for making your products?
The beach, beach decor shops, natural things, nature, movies and recycled materials.  My friends inspire me, as well as my family.  Inspiration can be everywhere you look, you just have to open your eyes and see it and then not get brain overload!



6.  Where do you sell your products?
I sell mainly at markets.  My main one at the moment is Boneo Craft Market, every third Saturday of the month, where I share a stall with two other very talented market buddies.........Rita & Frank and I Am Daniela.  We also occasionally attend other markets like Tootgarook and hoping to be at a Mornington market soon.......but I will keep you posted on that one.  Then there is my Facebook page, REN, which you can also purchase from.

7.  How much time do you spend making your products each week?  
How much time I invest varies, really depending on what's happening.  With Christmas approaching, I have dedicated a little more time that usual but normally no more than 8 to 10 hours a week at the moment......but I don't include beach combing in there, because that's not work, it's fun!

8.  Do you have a dedicated craft area or studio in your home?
We have a small house considering how many there is of us, so I don't have an office or workstation.  I pretty much work where I can grab a space, depending on who's doing what, or I retreat to the garage which I have pretty much taken over...Ooops!



9.  Are you self taught or have you had a good teacher?
Mostly self taught, although the 15 years of being a florist has given me a lot of knowledge and tips on a few things that are useful for what I'm doing with REN.  Like being resourceful, using ribbons and some wholesaler knowledge if I require it.  Google, YouTube, friends, books and just getting out there and seeing what's going on with the world helps.  Its always great fun, very addictive and useful, whether I'm learning how to make a shell Christmas wreath.....or believe it or not, how to blanket stitch!! Yes you heard right....I didn't know how to blanket stitch!!  BUT DO NOW.

Look forward to seeing you around REN soon or at the Boneo Market.
Cheers, Kind Regards,
Karen Goddard
AKA REN....


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear your comments, great to hear from you!