Powered By Blogger

Wednesday 1 February 2012

Meet the Maker.........Donna from "Little Boubba"

Many thanks to Donna for providing this lovely insight into her day to day life and business...

Name:  Donna McCall
Business name:  Little Boubba


Website:  Little Boubba blog

Online storefronts:  www.madeit.com.au/Littleboubba
                               www.etsy.com/shop/Littleboubba

Facebook:  www.facebook.com/littleboubba

Twitter:

Questions.

1.  So, tell us about yourself........
I am a SAHM to 3 gorgeous children, Bayleigh 9, Sienna 7 and Tanner 2, who keep me very busy with all their parties, after school activities and interests.  We moved to the Mornington Peninsula 18 months ago and although it took a little while to get used to, I can't imagine ever going back.  As a family we do a lot of water sports, so we spend a lot of time on the Murray River on down at the beaches.

2.  Why handmade?
Why not?  I love beautiful material and trims.  I am the sort of person that looks at most things and thinks "I can make that!".

3.  What influenced you to start your business?
My influence came one day when I was looking for a bib to put on Tanner, who was then about 9 months old and I couldn't find one anywhere, so I decided to get the machine out and whip up a few.  A few friends saw them and suggested I start to sell them online, so I took their advice and it has grown from there.

4.  What type of products do you sell?
My product range is growing all the time because I love trying new things.  At the moment I make and sell fabric covered Notebooks and Diaries, Bibs, Ribbon lankies, Ruffled nappy covers, Sienna tops and dresses.  I have just ventured into the land of dolls, which I am really, really enjoying but have a long way until they are as gorgeous as many of the other sellers.



5.  What are your inspirations for making your products?
My inspiration comes from boredom, if that makes sense?  I love to be making and I love to challenge myself, so that inspires me to give new things a go.  My children also give me a lot of inspiration, as most of my fabrics and products are aimed at that end of the market.

6.  Where do you sell your products?
I sell mostly on Facebook.  I have had some success on both Etsy and Madeit, but have had trouble keeping the stores stocked, as I was making a lot of customer orders which I have now stopped.  So I hope to be able to get back into selling on the handmade sites again.  I have done a couple of markets but they are very hit and miss.  I really think you need to be a regular to really have success.

7.  How much time do you spend making your products each week?
How long do I spend making my items....well how long is a piece of string literally?  Some weeks it is as little as 20 hours, but much more often it is 40-plus hours.  I always feel like I should be creating and staying on top with all the new fabrics.  I buy a LOT of fabric, so as soon as it all arrives, I have to be creating with it immediately!


8.  Do you have a dedicated craft area or studio in your home?
My craft dedicated area is a running joke in my house, my husband has 3 double garages and a dedicated office and I have literally a corner in our kids lounge that is my whole sewing desk.  I cut on the kitchen bench and all my fabrics are in various cupboards around the house.  We have been discussing putting a studio on to the house this year.


9.  Are you self taught, or have you had a good teacher?
All of my sewing is self taught.  I did textiles at school and surprisingly, it was NOT my favourite subject.  I have always sewn and have had a machine since my 18th birthday.  I have since upgraded that machine and really think I need to take a couple of classes, to teach me how to use this fancy new one :).

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear your comments, great to hear from you!